March 24, 2010

Savoring small success.

Sometime last week, after an intense yoga session at home, out of whim i tried Sirshasana. I was skeptical about my ability to pull it off. So, i started off by resting my my heel on the wall but eventually as i settled into the pose, with my breathing getting into a nice rhythm, i got off the support. It was a great feeling to engage all of your body, specifically your spine and core. I have never got so far doing this pose, so am super excited about it. And yeah, i felt this pose engaged the core to the maximum.

Given my workouts are limited to Stairmaster and Elliptical, call it my march madness, i was keen to see how soon i will be reaching 100M mark on these two. Well, it was today. Reached 100M mark on SM after todays evening workout. Today was my longest time spent on those machines. I swear, its boring as hell. Spent close to 4 hrs at gym today, 90 mins stepper, 90 mins elliptical, 30 mins core & 30 mins whining! Felt completely drained. Having no choice i am forced to being religious at XT'ing. I am not sure what kind of benefits i will be reaping doing these miles. I will get to see it as i recover and start running.

Talking about good things, my resolution clock says i have 7 more days before i can pop open a drink. Wondering what should i have, vodka shots, beer..suggestions welcome.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Figures you would count 30 minutes of whining into your workout total. I'll have some shots of Wild Turkey waiting for you on April 1st!

Anonymous said...

definitely post run stretches are whining! Not sure if u can handle scotch will settle for Wild Turkey.

rumor is u bonked after 3-4 cold ones up north. sorry mate, they thought u really drink. their bad!

naresh

brownie said...

Lone Star and jager!

Jeff Farrell said...

You need to drink at my house this Saturday Mr!!!

Olga said...

Can you drag my hubby with you along for some x-training? Better then not:) Being famous for getting injured at least twice a year, I cross-trained numerous times and went on to run races from there. Is it better than running? Of course not. But it's better than not doing nothing at all. Keep at it.

Olga said...

BTW, Sirshasana really IS good for core. I remeber that once I realized it's all about abs, I was able to pull it off (or, rather, pull it up). It was a while back though. Try getting up without a wall, by the power of your core, from Downdog.

Anonymous said...

We'll go beer for beer on April 1st. I'll pick you up from Seton Hospital in the a.m.

Anonymous said...

@ mr j - this SAT ain't 1/apr

@ olga - yeah its simple, kick him every evening at 7pm to 24HF.

@ pete - no comments: reserve it when i have the last laugh. btw, check if there is good music on that day....

@brownie - will do. not sure if pete can handle yager!

-bn

LK said...

What Olga doesn't understand is that I'm trying out a new 2 month taper plan for my next race. She's just pissed since I get to sleep in while she's up at 5am. :) Still undecided on whether or not I'm running ZG. I might end up being the designated beer man for the finish line. We'll see...