The race at MOAB had different option, 12 hrs 24 hrs and 100M with choices of running it SOLO & Relay. The deal for 100m is 18 loops of 5.33 miles and an out & back in the end. Set in a beautiful canyon, the course has jeep tracks, sand & slick rocks to run on. The most brutal of this whole exercise is running is in loops. Saving grace, we get to alternate the direction every time we got out. I was curious to see how long i can focus & keep that "desire" burning.
I registered on the morning of the race & quickly got ready for the run. It was frigid conditions on saturday monring with cold hitting the bones. I was grossly unprepared for this. We started at 7 AM with sufficient day light guiding us through the jeep track leading to the canyon. Sun is the quintessential for any form of life & we were no different & were yearning for some warmth. We were introduced to wonderful sights as the first rays of sun was kissing the rocks. Different shades on different rocks, no different than us. There was this mystic energy emitting from this place. It was surreal & sunrise made it magnificent.
I keep chugging miles, doing 1 loop after another. I kept updating my facebook status every 20 miles, that was fun in a way. Race is not an ideal platform to try new things. But i cared less. I was trying how long i can survive just on Gels. I could survive 30+ miles after which i was craving for some solid food. I had about 25 gels by then. Yuck! I will not be having Gels for a while. By late noon, the canyon was scorching and radiating heat. I realize the next day that the heat plus the sand have left scar mark on my legs, something similar to sotol kisses.
By end of loop7, i was drifting & getting bored. I focussed on doing 1 loop at a time. Even this did not work out. My interest was fading & eventually went blank at Loop9 (mile 48.33). I gave 30 minutes to check if there would renewed interests in doing few more loops. It was never to come. I was not tired, my legs were feeling fresh but nah, i just could not get out. For me running is like a meditation. You need to be in the zone & importantly you should enjoy it. Most of the ultra runners do the death march to the finish despite being beat up. What driving them is the urge\want to just do it, without which it is just not possible. I realized it was not my day & its no fun to pursue it. I folded my bib. On way back to Grand Junction, i realize how one chooses easy way out. Greatness is hard to come & there are times if life does not give us choices at all.
I went back next morning (sunday) to the race course, helped the runners at the aid station. I enjoyed it. But the best part of my trip was yet to unfold. I headed to Arches national park for a run. It was absolutely meditative; watching seeing those large rock red shaded rocks, La Sal range merging with the horizon. Fabulous. It was windy with sand blowing all around you. Later that evening, while doing ice bath i realize i was bleeding from my nose. Probably its the sand & heat. Need to check that out.
Few Takeaways,
1. Always wear gaiters.
2. Expect the unexpected, be prepared for anything..read weather.
3. No late night calls before the race, (shut down the phone)
4. You cannot JUST decide and run 100M. It is not like running 50M. I am not there yet.
As i write this in Grand Jucntion airport, i am still waiting for my flight to Denver. With heavy snow fall last night, i see long haul at Denver airport.
Ps: Its my fourth hour in denver airport & i got about 3 more hours before i board my flight at 6.30pm for San Jose, CA.
cheers to human spirit.
1 comment:
Sorry you didnt finish, Bro but at 18 loops I wouldnt have finished either. WOW that sounds boring.
Post a Comment