March 19, 2009

Rocky Raccoon 100M, Feb 8th 2009

Its unlikely that i will get done with a real race report.

To cut the long story short, heres what i recall of RR100M in brief......

Well into 28th hour of my run, i was trudging on Mile 99 with Marcia Inger. Overwhelmed and tired, thoughts clouded with strong emotions, i was skeptical of doing my sprint routine in the end. (For some reasons, i believe, you need to sprint the last 50-100 metres of the race to get the runners high) That was not the case to be. Once i switched on my ipod, with Lil wayne doing his Lollipop number, my legs got fresh lease of life. Slowly and steadily, my trudging shifted to shuffle, shuffle to jog...with half mile to go, i got into nice easy strides & signed off in style, sprinting the last 100M. Big hugs from friends ...& thanks to my pacers Gaurav Agarwal & Marcia Inger, i proudly wore my finishers medal.

I was relieved.

"5 x 20 Miles = 100 Miles". A simple mathematical calculation. You perceive it to be simple. But it is not. Try harder & dig deeper, you will unravel the mysteries of pure passion measured in terms of distance & function of time, 30 Hours in this case. Dig deeper, you will understand the complexities of this sport which is made simpler by the compassion of volunteers, all directing their efforts towards one goal: to get runners through to finish line. Dig deeper, it will dawn upon you the effort taking in planning this gargantuan task undertaken by Race Director (Joe\Joyce & friends). If these reflects anything to you, then it should be clear that the outcome of this simple mathematical calcalation is someones profession, someones dream, someones passion. This myriad elements was beautifully woven as a complex web & was rendered at Hunstville State Park on 7/8 Feb as part of Rocky Raccoon Endurance Run. My run.

Standing at the start line at 5.55 am on saturday, i was staring at the emptiness before me. All i could hear was whitenoise. Not a good thing to do, but i was thinking about my earlier failed attempts. I was thinking how i have seen my dream grow into an obsession. Over months, i diligently bookmarked my DNFs, learning & unlearnings from previous race, words of wisdom from friends\running buddies in my mind. The count down snapped me out of trance & this time i was staring at something; my opportunity - to be done one loop at a time.

Oops, need to do 5 Loops
Joe, my coach, said at packet pickup " plan to start the loop4 with fresh legs". Idea was to conserve and not consume in the first 3 loops.

Loop1-3
It was a hot in the morning when we started. I was planning to stick to my plan of taking is real nice and easy in the 1-3 loops. First 3 loops i took, 4 hrs, 5 hrs, 6 hrs respectively. I could have cut some slack in 2nd/3rd loop. Its okay. Need to learn

Loop 4
I was euphoric with my progress. Guided by instinct, i was not fooled by this false state. The demons of mind will be waiting for me. For now, i could see them hiding in those smooth trails beyond the Damn Road AS. If there is one thing worthy of being laughed of and laughed at, it is Pain itself. Agony piled on agony & sleepness was wrapping me into helplessness.

By this time sleepwalking became a routine.

Gaurav instructs me to "Stay Awake", i hear it as "Stay Away". I lose sight of Gaurav & shout "Gaurav, where are you". I hear a distant voice in reply, " open your eyes". I hear voices. Well, it happens to be of runners passing by me. I miss them, i am asleep. Phew, i was glad to get done with Loop 4.

I dont recall the split, but i am positive Loop 4 was my longest.

Loop 5
Mid way through Loop4, my achilles was getting stiff and by the time i reached the start\finish aid station, it was hard as rock. Good, my calf was not cramping but this stiffness was my handicap. Well, Marcia was all ready to guide me through the finish. I tell her of my tightened Achilles. She gets one of the medical person address my pain. Quick massage helps. I rest for about approx 10 mins. I head out with Marcia. Again, my strategy was simple, run till the first two aid stations, power walk the next two & run the last. I decide to take it easy and keep reminding myself, its never done until you are actually done.

Its never enough, Gracias, gracias.....

As in any race, i am thankful to too many people. Volunteers, My club runners who cheered me during the run (top of my mind; John s, Larry, josue,paula, ryan et al), RD and family members and kids...cheering out there. Needless to say big hugs to my pacers Gaurav Agarwal & Marcia Inger. Cheers to all.

1 comment:

Sukriti Dewan said...

You are an ace Dodo! So totally inspirational!